Facilities Maintenance Technicians are an integral part of the operations and maintenance in all public and private buildings such as office buildings, hotels, multi-family living and senior care facilities, hospitals, and in industrial manufacturing settings. Knowing how to build, install, diagnose, maintain and repair everything from critical systems in electrical, HVAC and plumbing to a building exterior envelope and interior finishes are skills needed to keep a facility operating smoothly are in great demand by employers. As a student in the Facilities Maintenance program, you will:
- Learn to install, diagnose and repair basic HVAC, plumbing, electrical and other building issues.
- Receive hands-on training in general maintenance tasks such as painting, flooring repair, carpentry, and drywall repair.
- Identify building maintenance needs, prioritize work and take corrective action.
- Gain knowledge of tools and equipment used in building maintenance and repair.
- Read and interpret sketches, drawings, diagrams and blue prints.
- Use a variety of Computerized Maintenance Management System software and understand Preventative maintenance requirements and practices.
- Follow safe work practices when using a variety of hand and power tools and recognize other occupational hazards.
- Troubleshoot and repair electrical switches, outlets, lighting systems and fixtures.
The Facilities Management Technical Diploma program is on a career pathway that includes this and other technical certifications. All will prepare you for a good job and advanced training. Learn at your own pace and increase your earning potential with credentials that keep you moving on your career path.
Students in the Facilities Maintenance Technician One Year Technical Diploma program can attend full or part time.
Facilities Maintenance Technician One Year Technical Diploma program classes may be offered at these Madison College campuses:
Explore financial aid eligibility for the Facilities Maintenance Technician. All courses for this program are offered only in person.