In this section
Artisanal Modern Meat Butchery
One Year Technical Diploma
The Artisanal Modern Meat Butchery program at Madison College offers you a unique opportunity to learn about the entire lifecycle of an animal from an agricultural, meat production and culinary arts perspective.
As a student in the Artisanal Modern Meat Butchery program you will have the opportunity to:
- Learn about farm practices in class and on the farm where you will explore livestock terminology, selection and care.
- Apply the pasture-to-plate philosophy in Madison College’s state-of-the-art culinary and meat production facility as well as manage all aspects of our retail butcher shop. In the butcher shop you will identify, inspect and process carcasses, as well as prepare and package meat for sale, and interact with customers.
- Design menus, determine ingredient sourcing and prepare for the ServSafe credential.
The Artisanal Modern Meat Butchery program applies the same guiding principles as local, established farm-to-table practitioners: integrity, honesty, consciousness, creativity, responsibility, respect and social commitment. If you have a background or interest in farming, meat production or culinary arts and are committed to integrating these guiding principles into your work, you would be an ideal candidate for this program.
Students in the Artisanal Modern Meat Butchery program can attend full or part time.
Artisanal Modern Meat Butchery program classes may be offered at these Madison College campuses:
- Madison - Truax
Explore financial aid eligibility for this program.
Some of the courses for this program may be available online.
- View the admission requirements for application deadlines, materials, and requirements.
- Attend an Academic Information Session to get started in the admission process.
- Visit MATC to learn more about the Madison College experience including campus tours and program open houses.
Once you are admitted into your program, review the Start of Semester Checklist to prepare for your first day of classes at MATC.
Contact Enrollment Services at EnrollmentServices@madisoncollege.edu or (608) 246-6210.
Prospective program students, the information below reflects the basic requirements for students admitted for the 2019-2020 academic year. To learn more about Madison College, visit us.
Current program students (including newly admitted), go directly to your Degree Progress Report (also referred to as an Advising Report or Academic Requirements) to view:
- Progress toward your specific requirements
- Alternative (in lieu of) courses to meet specific requirements
If you have questions after reviewing your report, please see Advising Services.10-316-1011 credits10-316-1603 credits10-316-1613 credits10-316-1623 credits31-090-3103 credits10-145-1173 credits10-316-1635 credits10-316-1644 credits31-090-3892 credits10-316-1653 credits
After completing the Artisanal Modern Meat Butchery program at Madison Area Technical College, you will be able to:
- Examine components of a farm to table meat production system.
- Prepare meat for processing and value added consumption.
- Merchandise meat for sale.
Madison College Artisanal Modern Meat Butchery program graduates are ready for a range of careers including:
- Meat cutter
- Animal Processor
Estimated Program Cost
# of Credits for Completion30Tuition$4095.00Materials/Supplemental Costs$820.20Other Costs$0.00Total Estimated Program Costs:
(book costs not included)$4915.20